To wish for change will change nothing. To make the decision to take action right now will change everything.

Saturday, February 21, 2009

the truth about bananas


So I have an obsession with bananas, I have at least one a day, usually two, and when they are not in the house they are the one thing I crave. When I am about to go to East Lansing to visit Jonathan and he asks what I want him to have in the apartment for me, my answer: Bananas (and coffee creamer) Whenever I eat a banana I secretly wish that I lived where they grew, which I found through banana research is South America, South-East Asia, Africa and the Caribbean islands. I want to own a banana tree so badly. My curiosity about the nutrition of a banana caused me to google: the truth about bananas. What I found will change your life!

  • Gym- Two bananas provide enough energy for a strenuous 90-minute workout.
  • Depression:People suffering from depression, many felt much better after eating a banana. This is because bananas contain tryptophan, one of the twenty common "amino actids" that make up all proteins that the body converts into serotonin, known to make you relax, improve your mood and generally make you feel happier.
  • PMS: Bananas contain the vitamin B6 which regulates blood glucose levels, which can affect your mood
  • Anemia-High in iron, bananas can stimulate the production of hemoglobin in the blood and so helps in cases of anemia.
  • Blood Pressure- High in potassium yet low in salt bananas have the ability to reduce the risk of blood pressure and stroke.
  • Brain Power -Research has shown that the potassium-packed fruit can assist learning by making pupils more alert.
  • Stress- Potassium is a vital mineral, which helps normalize the heartbeat, sends oxygen to the brain and regulates your body's water balance. When we are stressed, our metabolic rate rises, thereby reducing our potassium levels. These can be re-balanced with the help of a high-potassium banana snack.
  • Nerves: Bananas are high in B vitamins that help calm the nervous system.
Now who wants a banana!?!


3 comments:

lori bunk said...

i do! (and isaac... he loves bananas!)

nikki said...

I too eat a banana everyday. I wish I could buy them in bulk without them going bad.

Whenever anyone asks me if I need anything from the store, I say BANANAS!

nikki galas said...

im so happy you guys share my love for them!