To wish for change will change nothing. To make the decision to take action right now will change everything.

Monday, January 26, 2009

Could you speak up Lord?

So I have not been to Church in a while....I am more of a " Live the Word" type of Catholic. But recently I have been feeling that I would enjoy a little God recharge. Since we moved I had to research to find a new church, I did, and St. John Vianney on Schoenherr was my answer. Jonathan was going to be in town over the weekend and also feeling the need for a recharge agreed to go with me, we brought along Big Kim too...

Excited for our potentially new church we arrived about 25 minutes early, not exceptionally
early in my opinion, but maybe for the veteran church go-er. Well the parking lot was empty. So empty I thought there wasn't even a mass. After a few minutes of " should we go in??" we did, and found some seats off to the right about half way back. Now ten minutes until start time, just a hand full of people sprinkled throughout the Church.

Mass started and I was ready to hear the Word of the Lord, expect I couldn't hear it. Literally. I could not hear, the microphone was so low it was almost inaudible. When mass started the place was MAYBE 1/2 full (that is a very generous estimation) by 20 minutes in there was standing room only. I was amazed and slightly appalled a the number of people that barged in late; during the gospel reading, when Father was talking, didn't matter, people flooded the doors. I couldn't help to think that even at a hockey game when you arrive late they make you wait until the whistle blows before they let you find your seat and interrupt the people that had the courtesy to arrive on time. I mean, at least wait for a hymn to barge the church doors and not during the gospel.

So now we have late people bustling around the church, combine that with crying babies, rustling coats, an air vent behind us that was so loud I thought I was on an airplane, and a low microphone. I was miserable, but persevered though.... Well....

Church was over. Father told us to " Go in peace," and you would have thought the place was on fire...All those to eager to bust in late were just as eager to bust down the doors to get out. People were practically pushing past the Priest on his way out to get to the doors. Another appalling moment in my St. John Vianney experience.

Let just say it was not what I was hoping for my first day back to church.

I left feeling less that inspired and more than annoyed. We enjoyed a nice big breakfast at The Orange Peel post church and are still debating on whether or not to give St. John Vianney another shot... or is it just to laid back for me??

1 comment:

jonathan said...

ha big kim! im feeling maybe a new church is in order